[Rev. 1/17/2013 1:30:46 PM--2012R2]
Chapter 7, Statutes of Nevada 2003, 20th Special Session
AN ACT relating to minority groups; creating the Nevada Commission on Minority Affairs; prescribing the duties of the Commission; requiring the Director of the Department of Administration to provide certain staff assistance to the Commission under certain circumstances; creating the Regional Business Development Advisory Council for Clark County; prescribing the powers and duties of the Council; and providing other matters properly relating thereto.
[Approved: July 22, 2003]
(Leadlines for sections have been provided by the Legislative Counsel of the State of Nevada)
The People of the State of Nevada, represented in Senate and Assembly, do enact as follows:
Sec. 11. Definitions. As used in sections 11 to 20, inclusive, of this act, unless the context otherwise requires, the words and terms defined in sections 12 and 13 of this act have the meaning ascribed to them in those sections.
Sec. 14. Legislative findings and declaration. The Legislature hereby finds and declares that a general law cannot be made applicable for the provisions of this act because of the economic diversity of Clark County, the unique growth in population experienced in Clark County, particularly in the minority population, and the special conditions experienced in Clark County related to the documented statistical disparities between the availability and utilization of firms owned by minorities and women for the procurement and contracting by public agencies in Clark County.
1. The Regional Business Development Advisory Council for Clark County is hereby created. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, the Council consists of a single representative from each of the following entities:
(a) City of Henderson.
(b) Henderson Library District.
(c) City of Las Vegas.
(d) Housing Authority of the City of Las Vegas.
(e) City of North Las Vegas.
(f) Housing Authority of the City of North Las Vegas.
(g) Clark County.
(h) Clark County Health District.
(i) Clark County Housing Authority.
(j) Clark County Regional Flood Control District.
(k) Clark County Sanitation District.
(l) Clark County Water Reclamation District.
(m) Clark County School District.
(n) College of Southern Nevada.
(o) Las Vegas-Clark County Library District.
(p) Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority.
(q) Las Vegas Valley Water District.
(r) Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada.
(s) Southern Nevada Water Authority.
(t) University Medical Center of Southern Nevada.
(u) University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
(v) Department of Transportation.
(w) Las Vegas Urban Chamber of Commerce.
(x) Hispanic Business Roundtable.
2. The Board of County Commissioners of Clark County, in consultation with the Las Vegas Urban Chamber of Commerce, shall solicit and encourage participation in the Council by other governmental entities, private nonprofit entities organized to promote business or encourage participation in government, and private entities that employ 500 or more persons. Any such entity that requests to participate must be included as a member of the Council.
Sec. 16. Council: Officers; terms; vacancies. The Council shall elect from among its members a Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and such other officers as the Council determines are necessary. The term of each officer is 2 years. Any vacancy occurring in an office must be filled by majority vote of the members of the Council for the remainder of the unexpired term.
1. The members of the Council shall serve without compensation.
2. The governmental entities who have a representative on the Council shall jointly provide the Council with administrative assistance and provide for the payment of the expenses of the Council.
1. Record the minutes of each meeting of the Council;
2. Record the attendance at each meeting of the Council; and
3. Maintain the records, minutes and audio recordings or transcripts of the Council.
1. The Council shall propose and implement policies, programs and procedures to encourage and promote the use of local businesses owned or operated by disadvantaged persons, particularly in the area of contracting and procurement by public agencies in Clark County.
2. On or before November 1 of each year, each public entity which has a representative on the Council shall prepare and deliver a written report to the Council which contains:
(a) The number of persons employed by the public entity, disaggregated by major ethnic and racial categories, including, without limitation, African-American, Asian, Caucasian, Hispanic and Native American.
(b) Capital expenditures made by the public entity for the immediately preceding fiscal year, disaggregated by discretionary and nondiscretionary expenditures.
(c) The percentage of capital expenditures paid by the public entity to disadvantaged persons or businesses owned or managed by disadvantaged persons, disaggregated by ethnic and racial categories and by gender.
(d) A summary of the efforts and programs used by the public entity to encourage and increase the involvement in contracting by disadvantaged persons and businesses owned or managed by disadvantaged persons and any efforts or programs used by the public entity to encourage the economic development of disadvantaged persons and businesses owned by disadvantaged persons.
(e) Such other information as the Council determines is necessary to achieve its goals.
3. The Council shall encourage each public or private entity which has a representative on the Council pursuant to subsection 2 of section 15 of this act to prepare and deliver to the Council an annual report similar to the report required pursuant to subsection 2.
4. On or before January 15 of each odd-numbered year, the Council shall prepare a report regarding the policies, programs and procedures that the Council proposed and implemented during the immediately preceding 2 years to encourage and promote the use of local businesses owned and operated by disadvantaged persons, using the reports received pursuant to this section, and shall submit the report to the Director of the Legislative Counsel Bureau for transmittal to the 73rd Session of the Nevada Legislature.