Name of Organization: LEGISLATIVE INTERIM COMMITTEE CHAIRS MEETING
Date and Time of Meeting: Friday, March 3, 2000, 9:30 a.m.
Place of Meeting: Grant Sawyer State Office Building, 555 East Washington Avenue, Room 4401, Las Vegas, Nevada
Note: Some members of the committee may be attending the meeting, and other persons may observe the meeting and provide testimony, through a simultaneous video conference conducted at the following location: Legislative Building, 401 South Carson Street, Room 4100, Carson City, Nevada
If you cannot attend the meeting, you can listen to it live over the Internet. The address for the legislative website is http://www.leg.state.nv.us . For audio broadcasts, click on the link "Listen to Meetings Live on the Internet."
I. Review of Major Issues Facing the State
A. Presentation from the Governor's Office-Denice Miller, Senior Policy Analyst.
1. Fiscal Forum.
2. Fundamental Review of State Government.
B. Presentation from Fiscal Analysis Division.
1. Major fiscal issues facing the state-Dan Miles, Senate Fiscal Analyst.
C. Presentation from Research Division.
1. Major issues-Fred Welden, Chief Deputy Director, Research Division.
2. Deregulation of electric power-Scott Young, Principal Research Analyst.
D. Provision of Power and Gas in Rural Nevada-Tom Parker, Energy Source.
II. Reports on Progress, Direction and Goals of Interim Committees
A. Health Care
1. Legislative Committee on Health Care.
2. Long-term Care in Nevada (SCR 4).
3. Task Force on Access to Public Health Services (SB 556).
4. Task Force for the Fund for a Healthy Nevada (AB 474).
1. Legislative Committee on Education.
2. Committee to Study the Funding of Higher Education (SB 443).
3 Advisory Committee to Examine Locating a 4-Year State College in Henderson (AB 220).
4. Council to Establish Academic Standards for Public Schools.
C. Finance and Taxation
1. Distribution Among Local Governments of Revenue from State and Local Taxes.
2. Subcommittee on Highway Costs.
3. Subcommittee on Study of the Assessment of Certain Interstate or Intercounty Property.
4. Task Force for Long-Term Financial Analysis and Planning (AB 525).
5. Encouraging Businesses to Organize and Conduct Business in Nevada (SCR 19).
D. Natural Resources
1. Legislative Committee on Public Lands.
2. Subcommittee to Study Domestic and Municipal Water Wells.
3. Committee on High-Level Radioactive Waste.
4. Study of Tahoe Regional Planning Agency.
5. Air Quality Programs in Clark County (SB 432).
E. Workers' Benefits
1. Interim Retirement and Benefits Committee.
2. Legislative Committee on Workers' Compensation.
3. Pension Plan for Certain Justices and Judges (AB 698).
F. Courts and Legal Actions
1. Limitations on Damages that may be Awarded against the State and its Political Subdivision (ACR 46).
2. Encouraging Businesses to Organize and Conduct Business in Nevada (provisions concerning establishing special court) (SCR 19).
G. Juvenile Justice and Child Welfare
1. Study of System of Juvenile Justice in Nevada (ACR 13).
2. Commission on School Safety and Juvenile Violence (AB 686).
3. Integration of State and Local Child Welfare System (ACR 53).
H. Administration of Legislature and Legislative Counsel Bureau
1. Committee to Consult with the Director.
2. Reapportionment and Redistricting (SCR 1).
III. Public Comment.
* Denotes items on which the committee may take action.
Notice of this meeting was posted in the following Carson City, Nevada, locations: Blasdel Building, 209 East Musser Street;
Capitol Press Corps, Basement, Capitol Building; City Hall, 201 North Carson Street; Legislative Building, Room 1214,
401 South Carson Street; and Nevada State Library, 100 Stewart Street. Notice of this meeting was faxed for posting to the following Las Vegas, Nevada, locations: Clark County Office, 500 South Grand Central Parkway; Capitol Police, Grant Sawyer State Office Building, 555 East Washington Avenue.