Do you need to register as a Lobbyist?
Review these questions
- Have you appeared or do you plan to appear in the Legislative Building or any other building in which the Legislature or any of its standing committees hold meetings?
- Have you communicated or do you plan to communicate directly with a member of the Legislative Branch on behalf of someone other than yourself (an entity or another person) to influence legislative action whether or not any compensation is received for the communication?
- If the answer to both questions above is YES , then you are required to register as a lobbyist.
- If the answer to one or both of the questions above is NO, then you are not required to register as a lobbyist.
- You may be required to register as a lobbyist regardless of whether you are receiving compensation for your services.
- Persons who confine their activities to formal appearances before legislative committees and who clearly identify themselves and the interest or interests for whom they are testifying are not required to register as lobbyists.
- Employees of a bonafide news medium who contact Legislators for the sole purpose of carrying out their news gathering function are not required to register as lobbyists.
- Persons who contact only Legislators who are elected from the district in which they reside are not required to register as lobbyists.
Instructions to Register as a Lobbyist, File Expenditure Reports and Terminate
- To register as a Lobbyist, you must first have an account with the Nevada Legislature. If you do not have one, Register with the Nevada Legislature here.
- If you have a Nevada Legislature account, Sign In using the Sign In link on the top right of this page or Sign In here
- After you sign in to your Nevada Legislature account, you will return to this page where you can then Register as a Lobbyist .
- After you have registered as a lobbyist, you can sign in to your lobbyist account to file your expenditures.
Registration Fees for the 82nd (2023) Session
Paid Lobbyist $300 Paid Lobbyist - Non-Profit, 501(c)(3) only (must provide proof) $100 Non-Paid Lobbyist $20 Non-Paid Lobbyist - Military Veteran (must provide proof) $0 Intern $30
Expenditure Report Filing Requirements and Penalties NRS 218H.400If you register as a Lobbyist, you must file an Expenditure Report. If you terminate before the end of the session -- you must file a termination report.
A Paid Lobbyist is required to file a Monthly Expenditure Report whether or not
there were any expenditures.
- The penalty for failure to file your monthly expenditure report(s) or to file late is $10 per day until the report(s) are submitted. Failure to file the report(s) may result in suspension or revocation.
A Non-Paid Lobbyist is required to file a Monthly Expenditure Report whether or not there were any expenditures.
- The penalty for failure to file a monthly expenditure report(s) may result in suspension or revocation.
- A Paid Lobbyist is required to file a Monthly Expenditure Report whether or not there were any expenditures.